Sunday, November 25, 2012

Moonrise Kingdom

Mr. Bishop: "My daughter has been abducted by one of those beige lunatics!"
This movie had me at Khaki Scout Troops of North America.  A very different movie which drew me in immediately for that factor.  Everything was amazing about this movie: imagery, characters, dialogue, story, cast, and music.  In my opinion, there's nothing more appealing than dysfunctional characters, which happens to be everyone in this movie. Normal is boring and wEirD is compelling.

The Sam Shakusky search party
It was melancholy but heartwarming, funny as hell, and shocking ("She stabbed him with lefty scissors!") Best part of the movie was definitely the khaki scouts. The pack of 12 year olds were basically like elite soldiers, acting beyond their years. Even better was Scout Master Ward played by Edward Norton (Ward:"Scout Master’s log. September second. First day of search party for Sam Shakusky. Morale is extremely low, in part, I suppose, because Sam is, unfortunately, the least popular scout in the troop, by a significant margin.") I gotta admit it was really funny to see Bruce Willis play this sad, incompetent cop rather than the John McClane superstar cop he normally portrays. I downloaded the soundtrack yesterday and this movie is going down on my Ex-mas list. I can't wait for Wes Andersons next movie. I didn't think it was possible for him to top Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou buuuut I'm gonna have to say he did with Moonrise Kingdom. What the what!




"Giminey cricket, he flew the coop!"

No comments:

Post a Comment