Sunday, August 28, 2011

HURRICANE irene

Well this is the second natural disaster I can check off this week. We got close to 7inches of rain and wind gusts up to 50 or 60 mph. Not hurricane force but with a heavily saturated ground, trees will go over like toothpicks.  Unfortunately most everything happened during the night so we couldn't see much. Later on we hear on the news that southern DE got slammed by a tornado! Not to long afterwards we get a tornado warning.  Ya, we hung out in the basement for a bit because the winds were whippin.
As that passes, weather calms for a bit when it suddenly picked up again and at around 11:30 Sat night Dad, Sean, and me were inside watching Inception when we heard a big crack and a squeaking sound of something falling. I honestly never felt so scared. I thought one of our huge trees were falling on the house. Turns out, it was a massive branch that snapped off and fell on the power lines. But the power lines didn't snap, the power box on the side of the house just ripped off. We never lost power despite this whole incident. So we have live wires on our lake lawn. Awesome.
Sean and I stayed up till 4 am to keep monitoring the basement to make sure it didn't flood and to see if power would ever go out. After Inception we watched hangover. Every time I heard a huge gust of wind my heart would race because I was seriously afraid that a tree was gonna pancake our house.
Eventually we went to bed at 4, I woke up again at 6am because the wind was really picking up and I couldn't sleep. I got maybe 3 hrs of sleep last night.
Torrential rain turned into a light drizzle but the wind sure picked up. It was wiiiiindy today. But now the sun is out, the rain has stopped, and the winds have died down. Who would have guessed there was a hurricane here a few hours ago. I can't even imagine if this was a category 2 like it was first predicted.

 This is just the beginning.

 River on the side of the house


 Riley protecting the generator or more likely hiding behind it



 Mr. Fixit fixing the gutter

 "I'm not looking at you because you threw me outside in the rain"

 Tornado Warning
 Close call

 Even the utility guys were shocked we had power.



There's our power box thing in the bushes
Oh ya, and the best part! UD classes were supposed to start up Tuesday but are now pushed back to Thursdaaaay. See, it was move in weekend so Monday is cleanup while tues and wed they move in. So I'm gonna have 1 class this week. They should just push everything back till after labor day in my opinion. And what's this? Hurricane Jose formin in the Atlantic?? That would be crazy if we got his by another one.

No comments:

Post a Comment